Window Film: Transforming Single-Paned Glass into Double-Paned

Window replacement is a pricey expense, particularly if you are replacing all of the windows in your home. But full window replacement might not be necessary; you may benefit from having window film installed instead. In fact, window film can transform the reflective power of your windows, so that single-paned windows have the nearly the capabilities of double-paned windows.

As it is, double paned windows are an improvement over single panes because they insulate your home better – minimizing the loss of warm/cool air from your home – reduce noise from outside, and protect your furnishings from sun damage.

Window film improves the insulation and protects against solar radiation for single- and double-paned windows. For single-paned windows especially, window tinting can be a much more cost-effective way to achieve enhanced windows without completely replacing them.

Here’s how the window film works…

REDUCE HEAT: Window films from Brower Tinting & Graphics will cut more than 50 percent of the sun’s heat. While un-tinted, single-paned glass will reflect only eight percent of visible light, window film can cause the glass to reflect more than 50 percent, and reduce the glass’ transmission of light from 88 percent (un-tinted) to 31 percent.

IMPROVE INSULATION: The average single-paned window, with ¼-inch glass will allow thousands of BTUs (British Thermal Units) to escape from your home every day. BTUs are energy that is needed to heat or cool a room, and an average of 1.06 BTUs per square foot each hour will escape through that ¼-inch single-paned glass. The larger the window, the more BTUs lost! Brower’s window films can reduce this loss by as much as 30 percent – saving you a lot of money, both on energy bills and by not completely replacing your windows with double-paned ones.

MINIMIZE FADING: Your furniture, art, rugs, and other home furnishings can be noticeably damaged by solar radiation, which results in fading. Single-paned windows offer almost zero protection against solar heat and light, and therefore expedite fading on your furniture and home décor. However, window film can eliminate at least 99 percent of UV light that gets through your windows (UV light makes up 40 percent of the causes o fading). Solar heat, visible light, and other causes make up the other 60 percent, and window films can eliminate at least 50 percent of both visible light and solar heat. This means that window film can get rid of more than 60 percent of the causes of fading, so that your furnishings look better for much longer.

They are also virtually invisible (variable based on the kind of film you select for your home), and scratch-resistant!

Do you have more questions about window films and their benefits for single- or double-paned windows? Contact us to book your free estimate, or to request more information.

1 Response

  1. I didn't even consider that these kinds of windows could reduce fading. I know I have a bunch of pictures and furniture that could benefit from less light. I'll have to speak with a contractor to see if this is a viable option for my home. Thanks for the great info on dual pane windows!

Leave a comment